Tuesday, January 24, 2012

saying goodbye...


today, my grandfather left this earth. we just said goodbye to grandma last may (2011). i don't like goodbyes. i don't like change. but as i process this change in the life of my family, i'm reflecting on all the wonderful memories and lessons these two lovebirds left behind.

*grandma taught me so much about femininity. she always put effort into seeking beauty, whether it was in the way she "put her face on", dressed, decorated... 

*she taught me to appreciate a cup of tea (and teapots/teasets). a beautiful rose bud set sits on my shelf to remind me of the beauty that can be found in the warmth of sitting down with a loved one to share a cup of tea. the conversations i have had with family members over a pot of tea in grandma's kitchen are some of the most meaningful i've had

*they were a true example of love. not just gushy love, but true, loyal, fully devoted, serving love. my grandfather would be the first to admit that when they first married, he had a LOT to learn about love and commitment. but through the years, they became the picture of the "oneness" that a godly couple can be. until her last breath, my grandfather lovingly and patiently cared for her. for the last couple of decades, she was just as committed to my grandfather's sports teams as he was -- and she watched pretty much every game with him! that's the kind of love i hope for in my own marriage when we are old and gray

*they also represent the first picture i ever saw of a married couple seeking Christ together. ever since i was a little girl, i recognized their commitment to Christ, through their prayers, through regular study of Scripture, and their "life share" (small group) experience

*he showed me that it's possible for a husband to learn and become a man who loves his wife so much that he would literally give his life to caring for her when she became ill over a decade ago. he gives me hope that people can grow, character can develop, the process of becoming more like Christ can indeed be evident in this life

*they taught me the joy that can be found in the simple things -- sitting around the dinner table telling stories, camping out, playing cards, singing "down by the bay" when we're bored in the car, celebrating the gift of new life, and embracing all who found their way into their home and family as best they could

*they encouraged me in ministry since the beginning. they were my very first financial supporters. they believed in me and were faithful to pray for me and my chi alpha students. i think they were some of the most excited recipients of all of my ministry newsletters over the years. i can't remember how many times grandma dropped a card in the mail to say hello, happy valentine's day, happy easter, etc... and let me know that i was in her prayers (as were every other family member every single day, as long as i can remember)

*she became a birdwatcher in her last few years of life, as she was bed-ridden. she paid so much attention to the details of the birds, just like she did to so many other things of beauty in her life... and she appreciated them

sure, these were people who made mistakes just like every other human in this life, but these are just a few of the ways they have enriched my life. they are grandparents whom i love and will always remember.

you lived a wonderful life, wanda marlene and lynn purvis.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment