Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Uncle Bob or Mr. Miyagi?



  It's funny how a phone call can change your entire mood for the day... Today I received one such phone call -- from my Uncle Bob. He's been a spiritual father figure and hero of mine for most of my life. There are so many reasons why, but here are just a few:


 *He looks kinda like Mr. Miyagi... Seriously, one of the coolest movie stars ever, right?! (I know you see the resemblance -- photo from here)


But, seriously...
*He went to Fuller Theological Seminary (where Randy and I currently live and Randy is working on his Masters of Divinity) to pursue a Marriage and Family Therapy License, which he now uses on the mission field...

*He became a missionary while I was still in grade school and sort of paved the way as a Fudenna who pursued ministry/missions... (now, I'm the only other "missionary" in the family)

*On one of his furloughs he came to visit me in my junior high school -- he even helped coach my volleyball team as a way of connecting with me and my friends...
*Then in high school when I was a chaplain in charge of coordinating weekly chapels, he was home again on furlough and spoke in one of my chapels!

*Just over two years ago, my sister and I felt the time was right to visit him in South East Asia (always a dream my siblings and I have had) and he opened his home and life to us for two weeks, inviting us into ministry opportunities to the native people he has been working with and showing us the beauty of his country...

*Some of my dearest memories of time spent with him have been due to my being the one to tell him sad family news because I was the only person who could do it in person... Those moments are beautiful because of the way we could share our grief with one another and prayed for one another and our loved ones...

*He's a gentle and humble man who has cried with me, prayed with me, and modeled to me what it is to follow Christ in a truly sacrificial way. His ability to speak boldly and with confidence, yet from such a soft-spoken demeanor has always been a blessing to listen to and learn from.

Today when I hung up the phone, I sat for a few moments just to offer a grateful heart to the Lord for giving me such a wonderful family member and spiritual friend. I pray God has placed people in your life to be for you what my uncle has been for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment