Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Christian Art and the Devotional Life...


Nothing moves me to worship quite like Christian art, particularly stained glass windows and ancient Christian symbols of the Church. They remind me of the communion of the saints – the sacred bond of fellowship that we in the Church today share with the countless thousands who have gone before us. Long before the walls of my modern church building were erected ancient sisters and brothers in the faith would stare for hours at visual representations of the teachings of Holy Scripture – the only Bible that this primarily illiterate church would ever read. Somehow when I think of them as I pour over the artistic detail of their ancient version of the Scriptures I am reminded that Christ and His Church are much more substantial than what can be seen in the visible world at any one time. In remembering that I am but a newcomer to a faith that they have handed down to me inspires me to live it all the more faithfully.

The church pictured on the right is a local place where Lindsay has found some quiet space to ponder the particular beauty of architecture and stained glass windows, drawing her into a unique posture of worship to the God who created human abilities with which to build such things.

-- Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment