Tuesday, February 7, 2012

'tis so sweet to trust in Jesus


I didn't take any pictures. I don't have anything "happy" necessarily to take away from his memorial service, but somehow Grandpa's memorial on Friday provided the closure my family and I needed for both his passing and my Grandma's passing. This weekend was a time of acknowledging the reality of loss -- of these dear family members, of other people in my life, of the changes of "growing up"... and more.
I'm not sure that anyone shared reflections about my Grandfather that didn't include my Grandmother. Because they were really that couple.

My cousin Saige shared a beautiful greeting and description of the tender love seen in our grandparents' marriage.

My brother Lenny gave the eulogy -- a collection of musings and reflections by my mother and aunties -- and added in his own memories of Grandpa being a significant image of a man of faith.

I had the privilege of playing the piano and singing... First, singing the old hymn, 'Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus with my sister Stefanie. I wish we could sing together more often because I'm always amazed at the ease with which we blend our voices and give expression to the words we sing.

And then to close the memorial service, all the girl cousins and my two nieces joined around the piano to sing Amazing Grace. We sang the same song at my Grandmother's graveside service last May and it seemed a powerful way to bring closure to remembering this couple and their time on this earth.
 
But that last verse of 'Tis so Sweet... still echoes in my heart. Maybe it's just a dream, but I seem to hear my grandparents singing those words because they really did mean it and they each lived it to the end -- 

I’m so glad I learned to trust you,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that you are with me,
Will be with me to the end.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment