Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Jesus wept

I'm so annoyed that my initial reaction to the above verse (John 11:35) is memories of Bible trivia as a child. Not that there's anything wrong with quizzing kids on Bible knowledge. The agitated feeling is more that a beautiful verse with such a powerful meaning, has lost its meaning to so many people... Or maybe it just lost its meaning to me until recently.

Thanks to a wonderful friend (Larry, founder of this fantastic website), I have been exercising the use of imagination in my times of prayer and Scripture.

Sitting with John 11:1-44, I found myself musing the following questions and thoughts:

*Jesus, what thoughts and feelings did you have on the long journey from the Jordan River to Bethany (where Lazarus was sick and dying)? Were you already sad even though you knew his death would be temporary?

*Even though it's so clear that you knew Lazarus' death was imminent, when you reached Mary and Martha, it must have been so hard to see their pain and sadness...



*How could you enter so deeply into their sadness and grief when you knew that you could (and would) bring him back to life? 


*Sometimes I want to run away from reality that includes pain and grief... sometimes I'd rather skip ahead to the hope, the capacity of my God to overcome, redeem and bring life... But you were able to stay in that moment to mourn with those who were mourning. Your sadness and tears were genuine and honest because you care so deeply for your friends...


*Jesus, might you weep with me and my family as we mourn the loss of family members and the end of relationships... even if there might be hope for redemption and life in the next moment. May you help me to be faithful in my presence to today and all of the moments that come this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment