Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Musings from a Spiritual Director in training...

Given the nature of my training and confidentiality as I become a spiritual director, there are many things that I must be careful about in regards to sharing the wonderful things I see in the young women that I sit with.

And, if I could...

... I would tell you how quickly my heart connects with the heart of a young woman who walks in and shares her story -- both of pain and joy, blessings and loss.

... I would tell you about an extremely gifted young lady who has always been told that her gifts of creativity and expressing herself through art weren't spiritual enough to be used by God.

... I would tell you how damaged young hearts are from being told they weren't good enough, smart enough, thin enough, "Christian" enough... and the joy it is to listen as they begin to trust that maybe... just maybe the voice of our Loving God says otherwise.

... I would tell you how desperately a dear one longs to experience God, but feels she's too stained by past mistakes to even have God's full attention.

... I would tell you about one who came carrying the heaviness of addiction, but who is slowly learning how to unload these burdens at the foot of the cross and in whom I've seen huge steps of progress in becoming whole in Christ.

... I would tell you of multiple young women who were neglected emotionally by their parents, abused by some of the people who were thought to be the most "safe", and have realized the anger that rises up as they think of guardians who watched the damage being done... ending in a realization that they are struggling to reconcile God being "good" with all that has been so hurtful in their lives.

... I would tell you about young women who are hearing the voice of God and yet are just now beginning to learn that they can trust this inner voice of the Holy Spirit -- that God indeed is communicating with them and drawing them ever deeper in intimacy with him.

... I would tell you about the yearning in these young women to have a reason to hope and trust in a God who is Emmanuel -- God with us -- even when they don't always experience his with-ness.

... If I could, I would tell you the depth of each of these stories so you could see how intricately God has worked and continues to work in their lives in order to bring freedom, wholeness and intimacy with him. 

Being a spiritual director to these sweet girls has been a source of immense joy as I continue to be honored with seeing and hearing about sacred moments between them and our God. Thank you for praying and caring for me so that I can minister to these precious daughters of the Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment