Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hapa Handmade :: etsy shop


Most of you have probably noticed that I started a little Etsy shop recently. [If you don't know what Etsy is, you're about to enter into a whole new world of all things handmade, creatively re-done and just straight up clever ideas!] Over the holidays last year, my grandmother and her sister taught me how to knit and crochet and I basically just haven't stopped having a knit or crochet project in my hands since.

First it was frustrating as I learned how to stay consistent with my stitches. Then, I felt adventurous in finding patterns I thought I could follow. And all of a sudden, the obsession turned into a freeing way of expressing creativity (most of which I didn't even realize was hiding in there!).

So, I thought I'd share the shop with you all here.

Two of my dearest friends, Angi and Davinah, kindly offered their stunning creativity in calligraphy, photography and design to create my logo:




Isn't it pretty?

Oh, and since almost everyone asks why it's called "hapa" handmade, I'll explain the inspiration:
Since it was my Japanese grandmother who invited me into the world of yarn, knitting needles and crochet hooks, it seemed fitting to choose a name that reflected something of my Japanese heritage. Ever since my siblings and I were kids, we have taken much pride in our identity as being half-Japanese (and half-white mix from my mom). We learned early on a slang word for people of our kind: "hapa." It basically means "half", but is often used to refer to half-Japanese or half-Asian mixed heritage people. So, there you go. Now you know the background to my shop name. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment